Re: [DML] Re: Engine Swap-Out

Hi Greg. The previous responses have pretty well
covered the options available and highlighted the
renault tranny as the "weakest link" in any upgrade
plans. I personally am finishing up the Eagle 3.0 PRV
conversion. I'm using a '92 eagle 3.0 engine which
allowed me to: 1) retain the PRV "heritage" of the D
2) avoid any sort of adapter plates between the engine
and tranny and 3) maintain the Delorean's original
weight distribution and handling. Some other benefits
that came along with the newer PRV were increased
displacement (to 3.0 liters), even-fire configuration,
increased compression ratio, electronic fuel injection
and serpentine belts.

In stock form, this engine won't put out as much power
as many of the other options, but for my project, I
placed a higher priority on the three items I listed
above. As for power, I plan on a "phase 2" engine
where I'll do some of the typical power increasing
modifications (and I haven't ruled out a
supercharger). My power goals however will not be
above the capabilities of the tranny.

You really have to determine what your goals are. Do
you just want more power? Do you want electronic fuel
injection? etc. etc. None of the conversions are easy
and none are cheap. Also consider how much can you do
yourself. (Something as simple as fabricating an
alternator bracket can be costly if you have to have a
shop build it for you.)

Even though the engine I chose was a "bolt-in", I ran
into several fairly major problems during my
conversion. I've covered these pretty well on my
website (www.projectdelorean.com), but feel free to
email me directly if you have any additional questions.

=====
Steve

VIN 2650 ("Project Delorean")
www.projectdelorean.com