Re: Cross Threaded Spark Plugs

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "anaheim_21" <anaheim_21@xxxx> wrote:
> Has anyone ever cross-threaded their spark plugs? What did you do
> remedy the situation?

3 out of 6 plugs on my car are cross-threaded. I discovered this
unpleasant surprise the first time I did a tune up. I never bothered
to fix it, just screwed the plugs in tighter. Compression test on the
motor is fine, according to my local garage (somewhere in the 130 or
so PSI range I think). Since the motor runs fine, and I eventually
plan on modifying/swapping the motor, it's never been more than a
simple pet peeve to me.

If you do want to replace the entire head however, there are two
solutions:

1) Tap the heads to the next thread size up. You'll then need to buy
spark plugs to compensate, but this should fix it (I know of no one
who's ever done this, but I was a reccomendation that I recieved).

2) There is a kit available wich will let you drill, and then sleeve
the wells to allow you to keep the same size spark plug (I know I saw
this on the net, but cannot for the life of me remember where, but I
remember that there are 2 seperate sizes). It was something like $12-
$15 per plug.

Check eBay. From time to time, they have the B288F heads pop up from
Volvos that appear in their auctions. Otherwise, there may be some
other D owners that can sell you a set of heads. And while you get
ready to replace them, get 'em polished at the local speed shot, and
install some new timing chains.

-Robert
vin 6585 "X"