Re: State Inspection

About ten years ago Florida started mandatory vehicle emission inspections in
the state's most populous counties. This plan was conceived by idiots (the
Florida State Legislature) and was contracted out to a private company to
conduct the inspections. They built inspection stations and began fleecing the
motoring public. I lived in Jacksonville at that time and was subject to these
inspections. When I first brought my DeLorean in for inspection, it created quite
a stir amongst the inspection station employees, who must have been blood
relatives of state legislators, as they were idiots also. As it turned out their
computer did not have any specs for emissions on a DeLorean, so they used the
specs for a Datsun, which I guess they figured was close enough since it also
started with the letter D. My DeLorean did not meet these emissions specs and
accordingly they were about to fail me. I challenged this and was shown the
computer screen where my DeLorean had not met the specs. When I pointed out that
the screen also showed that the specs were for a Datsun, they had to consult
with the head supervisor, who reluctantly decided to pass the car.

After about two years this program was done away with entirely, as the wait
in line to have your car inspected would range from four to eight hours. The
air pollution created by all these vehicle waiting in long lines exceeded that
which was prevented by the inspections. The Florida emission inspection program
was a joke that, hopefully, will never return.

Brian McCabe and Harvey (5830)
Santa Rosa Beach, Florida