Re: [DML] Business Article

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Josh Haldeman <jhaldeman@xxxx> wrote:
> oh...statistics can be made up to prove anything. 46.73% of all people
> know that! ;-)
>
> -Josh

I'm gonna agree with Josh on this one. Statistics can be made up to
achieve any results that you want. It's not that you have to read the
fine print, it's that you have to read between the lines.

1) It says that these results were from 8300 people polled. But it
does NOT specify that a total of actual people called were 8300. It
could have been 20,000. Simply pick, and choose what data you want to
manipulate your results.

2) What qualifies these people as a "Prospective Buyer"? It gives no
age/income/educational bracket, and more importantly, it does not
specify WHY they would be less likey not to buy from DeLorean. With
other recent surveys (hypocritical, I know) showing that 51% of
COLLEGE STUDENTS not knowing whom the current Secratary of State is,
how the hell can we expect them to even know who John Delorean is?!?
And this isn't history, it's a current event! After all, would you be
more likey to buy from someone you didn't know? While I'm sure that
these people may have been "Prospective Buyers", they're most likey
being far from "Educated Consumer". Which is nowdays, quite an
oxymoron in itself.

Now, on more of a "Conspiracy Theory" note, I personally wouldn't take
anything that Business Week says as the absolute truth. Business Week
is a subsidiary of McGraw-Hill publishing, who themselves in the past
have come under fire for helping build a "Newspeak" list that they use
when censoring both history books, and literary works that they cite.
In otherwords, the can literally alter historybooks in our nation's
schools now in the name of "sensativity".

So with a track record such as this, I've got some serious doubts as
to the accuracy of their poll results, given the level of their
Journalistic "Integrity" when recording history.

-Robert
vin 6585 "X"

p.s. If you'd like a sample of the links cited, here there are:
http://www.avot.org/stories/storyreader$72
http://www.aft.org/american_educator/summer2003/bannedwords.html