Re: Squirrley steering

Rich - Funny you should bring this up ... One of our members (PNDC) is
having a problem with loose steering, with a lot of wandering, etc.
He was told that he had bad tie rod ends, but he is convinced that the
rack is moving laterally. He also has some damage to the crumple
tubes, and is further convinced that the frame extension is deflecting
as he steers the car, creating some of the loose feel. Last night, I
brought over an expert welder and metal worker to take measurements
for a reinforcement plate for the crumple tube area, and (if all works
out okay) we plan to offer a reinforcement kit for sale for people who
have some damage that they are concerned about. I suspect that Dave
T. will say something about affecting crash-worthiness, but I think we
can work around that issue successfully. I will be creating a mylar
template of the area this weekend, so I will look carefully at the
bushings and brackets to try to determine where the movement might be
coming from. I need to do that anyway, to support my fellow PNDC
member, as we have a club tech session coming up in a week and a half.

The brackets are not welded to the frame, but they do engage some
protrusions in the frame to prevent movement. Perhaps in your case
the nuts have loosened a little bit, and the brackets have disengaged
the frame protrusions?

Toby Peterson VIN 2248
Winged1