Re: Delorean Question

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Dan McNasby <dan_mcnasby@xxxx> wrote:

> I am very interested in buying a Delorean but would like to know
what are the relative merits of the DeLorean over the Following Cars
(basically, why buy the delorean over the following) are:

> 1. 1994 Dodge Viper RT/10
>
> 2. 1995 Acura NSX
>
> Why is the DeLorean better to own than the above cars?
>
> Thanks for the input!
>
> Dan

Do NOT buy a DeLorean! Nor should you buy a Viper, an NSX, nor any
other sportscar for that matter! Sit down, figure out what your needs
are, consult a few car sites, and pick up a nice Toyota, or Ford
Taurus, and live happily ever after.

If you have to ask this question, then you don't need to know the
answer. Why? You've asked a question that no one can answer, but you.
A sports car no matter what the marque is a reflection of the person
who is driving it, since certain types of cars tend to attract certain
types of people (in other words, no one can tell you who you are).
Sportscars are not a common, run of the mill family car, or utility
vehicle. You can't simply choose a sports car because it "fits your
needs". You have to literally 'click' with it. People don't see
minivans driving down the street, and say, "Oh, wow! I'd LOVE to own
one of those!" No. They buy vehicles like that because because they
best suit their needs.

A sports car is different. You buy one (well, at least you SHOULD buy
one) because you want it, not because you need it. Performance stats,
social status, age, and other factors are all good. But they shouldn't
really be the determining factor. Nor will they be for someone who
truly enjoys the car.

Now am I saying that you need to be a "hard-core" person totally
devoted to a marque to own a particular car in that marque? No. You
can casually own a sports car, drive it occasionally, and still enjoy
it's ownership. It helps to get the full experience, but isn't
nessisary. But your question seems to be one that trys to err on the
side of caution. Noting wrong with that at all, except that it's not
something that really applies to hobby cars. Technicly, anyone of the
cars you speak of have the same potential for pleasure and angst for
an owner. Although they make take different paths to get there. You
may have as much fun simply crusing a DeLorean that you would taking a
Viper to the track. And you could just as easily be hit hard
financially restoring a DeLorean, as you would replacing a destroyed
tranaxle on an NSX. So one car isn't really going to be better, or "a
safer bet" than another.

Something that I'm curious about is why you ask the question that you
have. The Viper and NSX have many more things in common with each
other, than the DeLorean does with them both. Both are fast,
high-powered, modern super cars. They come from well established
companies which still offer factory support, they're far newer,
powerful, and still recieve allot of positive press. The DeLorean in
many respects is an opposite. But something has attracted you to it.
Try to think about why.

It's impossible to answer why one sportscar is better than another
when looking to own one for personal enjoyment. The real question that
you need answered is which of these cars is the best one for you?
Research all of them both from data on the internet, and by talking
directly with other owners of these cars. See what they say. You'll
never find out which one is "better" than another. So don't make that
answer your goal. Find out what you can about all the cars, and see
which one best clicks with you on what levels, and on which weak
points you're willing to compromise (ie. a DeLorean is a bit slower
than a Viper, but has seats that are as comfortable as recliners and
is VERY ergonomic).

You've heard many others here talk about the better points of DeLorean
ownership, such as parts availability/pricing, the hugh support
network in conjunction with it, etc... So I'm sure that you've already
gotten the idea that the DeLorean is hardly an "orphan" car that has
been abandonded. But I wouldn't consider the DeLorean a "cult" car per
se, any more than I would the Corvette, or even the VW Beetle marques
are. All have their devoted, and hard-core owners, as do the DeLorean.
It's just that due to our far lower production numbers, and higher
level of obscurity, DeLoreans tend to be more sought after by devoted
owners seeking the car outright, rather than picked up by casual
passers-by/shoppers who spot the car for sale on a car lot, or
someone's front lawn.

On the flip side though, there is NOTHING like driving a DeLorean! It
may not be a supercar, but there is something about it that sets it
apart. Braking, handling, acellerating, stop & go traffic, open
highways, or simply standing still: the DeLorean has a very confident
feel to it. And for some reason, it is one that will draw you in. I
wouldn't call it fun, so much as I would extremly satisfying.
Refreshing in the summer, and quite cozy in the winter, it is a car
that loves to hit the pavement as much as you will. It is plain and
simple, a car that was engineered for someone who loves to drive.
Drive it once, and you'll want to keep going.

But know this. The full experience of owning/maintaining/driving a
DeLorean is like no other car. Whatever problems you run into, no
matter how large, or small, will always pale when compared to the
reward of driving the car. The pride, and satisfaction is
undescribable. But that is the one thing you would need to experience
for yourself...

Whatever your choice is in the end, good luck to you with it. And make
sure that it's going to be a car that you'll have fun with! :)

-Robert
vin 6585 "X"