Re: [DML] "Rustproof" DeLorean

Ya, Bill's right... Though I've taken/cut out more rusty bolts than most
people, and changed them to stainless. When I said rustproof, I meant
the body (obviously). I've had to do significant bodywork on my Japanese
car, and at the time it wasn't even 10 years old.

About the wires, I would not call them small gauge. It's like 16/18 I
think with a healthy-sided insulator on it. I work on a lot of mazdas
and the wires in them are like 22 gauge, if that. The insulated wire is
a third the size of the insulated Delorean wire.

Jim
1537

On Sat, 06 Sep 2003 03:47:41 -0000 "content22207"
<brobertson@xxxx> writes:
> While the pontoon is indeed rustproof (might crack however...), much
> of the car is carbon steel subject to deterioration:
> - All fasteners
> - Frame is welded sheet steel, not cast. Crumple tube especially
> vulnerable
> - Brake & suspension components
> - Fuel system can rust from inside out (tank itself is plastic)
>
> Note also wiring subject to environment. Ground points especially
> critical because body non-conductive. Wiring harness is small gauge
> begin with, so I'd watch airborne salt found at coasts.
>
> DeLorean is well executed car, steeped in history, uncommon but not
> rare (costs within most people's reach), and extremely popular among
> general public. Is far from perfect, but I recommend ownership.
>
> Bill Robertson

Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!