Re: Thinking of putting CD Player in Driver Comparment....

Re: Thinking of putting CD Player in Driver Comparment....

Patrick

There was an article on doing this in the spring 2003 DeLorean World
mag. Basically you should be able to purchase a changer unit to go in
the compartment behind the driver, the signal is then fed to your
original head unit using an FM modulator. You signal cable is joined
to the aerial connector (already situated nearby if you have the
electrical popup aerial) and tune your original radio into the
signal. A small display module is needed to show track numbers, this
can even be made to fit in the ashtray area if you want to keep it
hidden. The controls are then run from a remote contol unit.

I am looking at the same setup in the UK, not many manufacturers
still use the FM modulator system since the quality of the sound
depends on your original head unit/speakers. They seem keen for you
to change the head unit at the same time :-(

>From the UK prices:
Alpine FM add-on CD changer controller CRM-1652RF, runs ANY of the
Alpine changers, 6x, 12x, MP3, hard disk is you're really want (my
car is only insured for 5000miles the later options seem excessive).
Package price £299 for a standard 6x player and modulator. I have
been quoted £179 for the modulator if I wanted a more exotic player.
Pioneer `Universal Multi-CD Player' CDX-FM657. Again 6x CD player,
remote control and FM modulator package £349. Additional flashy
options include CD-VC60/65 voice controller, learn to shout `great
scott' to turn on the CD?

John Chapelhow
DOC 19 : `Boeing' 0737