Re: Ital Design Anniversary

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "B Benson" <delornut@xxxx> wrote:
<SNIP>
For whatever shortcomings the DeLorean has been
> accused of having its styling certainly wasn't among them. It's
almost as
> though Giugiaro would prefer to disassociate himself with the car
and rather disappointing for DeLorean enthusiasts.

> Bruce Benson

Even when Giugiaro first designed the prototype car, he really didn't
think it to be unique. He just looked upon it as yet another one of
his designs that he cranked out for automobile companies (this comes
from the book "Dream Maker" if I'm not mistaken). Although, it must
hold some sort of special place for the company, as a DMC-12 is not
only listed on his website's archive, but one is included in his
museum in Italy. Someone here posted a pic of it a while back, and I
belive that it has a custom, tan interior.

Unfortunate as it seems, we all pretty much drive the "Red-headed
Stepchildren" of the automotive industry. I seriously hate to say it,
but it's true. I once read an article regarding JZD's bankruptcy trial
(which he came out clean from, of course), and it had an interesting
quote regarding how the effects of DMC's collapse could still be felt.
It was along the lines of, "The Boom from the fall of DMC still
lingers over the head of JZD.", or something like that. Interesting
quote, but truth be told, it's been more like radioactive fallout,
rather than just a mere inital shock, and we've all had to wade thru
it. So as far as PR goes here in the US, perhaps omitting the DMC-12
is veiwed a "precautionary" move?

-Robert
vin 6585 "X"