Re: valve cover vacuum leaks

The Workshop Manual does not really explain the crankcase ventilation
very well. The crankcase isn't really ventilated so much as vacuumed.
There is a small amount of manifold vacuum applied to the crankcase
from the cold start valve to the oil filler cap. Refer to D:06:02-:03.
If the engine is worn and the valve seals and rings are worn then the
engine could have so much blow-by and leakage that the manifold vacuum
cannot even keep it at atmospheric. In such a case the seals would
leak. Refer to D:06:03 System Repair Notes A and B. There is a small
fitting on the cold start valve that a hose connects to and runs to
the oil filler cap. This has a metering orifice. If it was replaced
(changed) and is bigger or smaller (or even plugged) it would affect
the way the motor runs. Am I the EXPERT checksix3 is referring to?
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "checksix3" <jetjock11@xxxx> wrote:
> >>Beg to differ. Had terrible vacuum leak where passenger valve cover
> overlapped timing chain cover (mating surfaces not quite flush).
> Steady pin point stream of solvent would kill engine. If that isn't a
> vacuum leak don't know what is.<<

there is data. Port a vac gage into your valve cover and measure