Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2003 02:28:40 -0000
From: "therealdmcvegas" <DMCVegas@xxxx>
Subject: Re: Parts Available

***** New ground *****

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Scott Cagle" <dmc83n99@xxxx> wrote:
> ***** Moderator's Note *****
> We aren't plowing any new ground here. Please consider this
> thread closed.
>
> Mike G - Moderator of the weekend
>
> *****

I'll have to argue this point too! :) I think that we've only begun to
till the rocks out. So I do request that this be let thru.

<SNIP>
> Now, if Ken feels this strongly that this car
> can't be completely repaired without a massive cost on the end, then
I for
> one believe him, and think it best that a car be parted out to save some
> others rather than continue to deteriorate where it can do no one
any good.

I fully agree with Ken that it is not financially feasable to restore
this car. That's not the actual debate here. What is the actual topic,
is at what point should we write off a car. A car like this would be
better off to go to someone putting personal goals ahead of their
wallet. Hear me out...

<SNIP>
> I guess my point is this. We are so quick to jump on the wagon to
point out
> the faults in destroying a classic car that we aren't thinking on
the end
> view.

Half true. The problem is we're picturing two different solutions for
this kind of car. And that is where we're not agreeing. We just need
to open our minds a bit. Let me try to explain by citing the same car
that you mentioned below:

<SNIP>
Currently there is a car 2 miles from my house that has sat in a
> backyard for about 5 years. It suffered massive flood damage in
Texas. It
> has been sunbaked in the Florida sun. All the black plastic in the
> electrical compartment is now brown. Does this make me a bad De Lorean
> owner because I don't want to buy it and send it to NY or Houston to put
> 25000 dollars into fixing it, but believe it should be parted out rather
> than completely destroyed by the advancement of the elements on it?
<SNIP>

Hardly. Because you're staying neutral with the car by NOT buying it,
that is perhaps the best thing that you can do for the car. If you
can't, or don't wish to fix the car, then don't buy it. And THAT is
the point that I am trying to put across. If the car sits for another
5-10 years, so be it. Eventually, the right person will come along. A
person who wants to take on the challenge. Maybe it'll be because of
an intense passion for the car. Maybe it's someone who's looking for
this major of a car restoration, and they happen to spot this car, and
want it. Who knows. The point is that the best thing for the car is to
let it be. Give it time, things will click together. My car had to
wait 12 years before I came along. And perhaps since you know of this
car, you could share it with the list. Who knows, because of your
actions, you may spark someone's interest, and they buy the car. I'd
reccomend contacting the person, and put the word out on it with
theirr permission. Even the car that Ken has was run through a
gauntlet of potential people who wanted to purchase it. So maybe
you're the key to getting this particular car back on the road. Just
remember, half of the fun for a good number of people is actually
rebuilding the car, not just being an owner of one.

BTW, if it is a flood recovery vehicle, that by far isn't a death
sentance. As said time and time again, customization can be the
answer. Have a look:
http://pages.sbcglobal.net/montkw/delorean/cincin/cincinnati.htm

Customizaton is a win/win situaton for everyone. It allows defunct
cars to regain their operational glory, and affords those with "stock"
cars the opprotunity to have an unique car become even more unique.
Think of it that way.

What many of us here are pushing for is pushing for the option of
customizing to replace parting out. Hope is never lost...

-Robert
vin 6585 "X"

p.s.
This has probably been overall, the most civil debate I've ever
seen/partaken of here on the DML, contrary to popular belief. No
matter what you stance on either side of the debate, it makes me proud
to associtate with so many others here that share the same level of
passion for our cars!