Re: windshield antenna

Your best option IMHO is to spend about $180 and put the power
antennae in. There is a whole procedure with a template to do it. The
job can be done in a short afternoon. The reception will never be
great with the radios the car came with but you won't get very good
reception at all without either the antennae in the fender or the
power antennae. The main problem is called polarization. The antennae
in the windscreen is horizontal so it is better at recieving
horizontaly polarized signals. Unfortunatly the radio signals you want
to get are verticaly polarized so you really need to have a vertical
antennae element to get the best reception. There is a 3rd choice. If
you can find it there used to be sold a wire that attached on the
inside of the windscreen with transparant tape to replace the embedded
antennae, sometimes the wire would break off where it exits the glass
and the only way to fix the antennae without replacing the glass was
this "kit". This was never sold for Deloreans, it was like a general
purpose kind of aftermarket kit. You might find it at a car show swap
meet. To improve reception I know of a Delorean owner that bought a
"signal booster" from Radio Shack and said it helped a lot.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757