Re: Redline fuel system cleaner

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Henry" <henry@xxxx> wrote:

> Speaking of Red Line, what is the general consensus of Red Line
"Complete Fuel System Cleaner"? The shop where I got my MSD coil was
really touting it, and for only $8 I bought it. But before I use it, I'm curious to
hear if anyone thinks I *shouldn't* use it. And if you do use it, how much do
you put into a full tank? Thanks.

> http://www.redlineoil.com/redlineoil/si1ti.htm
>
> -Hank #1619

Don't have an experience with Red Line's fuel treatment, but if it were me, I'd
just take it back. A while back there was a discussion on the list here about
the negative effects of fuel system treatments, and the neutral ones of why
there simply a waste of money for the most part. Check the back archives for
some really interesting details. But for the most part, you're just paying for
extra detergents that are already in your fuel at the pump. And with a properly
operating and maintained car, they're not nessisary.

On top of this, NONE of these products that I've ever seen are one time only.
They all insist that you keep using them over and over again. There
intentional design is to spurn revolving sales, with cleaning your fuel system
2nd. And when you look at what they're supposed to be doing, they're actually
not nessisary. And when you think about it, how exactly are they able to help
the fuel system in ways that you can't? If the pick-up screen, or fuel filter is
clogged, you're gonna need to pull and replace them anyways. And if there is
any debris in the fuel lines, hoses, rails, etc, you're gonna need to pull them
for cleaning, because you've got bigger problems that have caused that
problem in the first place. If you want to keep carbon deposits down, just run
the engine at normal speeds, and for a prolonged enough time where you
can heat things up internally, and run as low an octane gasoline as possible.
After replacing the dirty fuel injectors in my car, I run smoth as silk on 87
octane. Even in triple digit heat, and with hotter plugs & spark from the coil.

The only additive that I've ever heard anyone agree upon is Chevron's
Techron detergent. And even then, if you run a quality gasoline with decent
detergents, it's not nessisary. And this was the advice given to me by my
mechnaic. He poured a bottle in to help with the initial removal of the carbon
in the engine, after I kept failing smog. His advice to me was to stick with
running Chevron for atleast a few months, but preferably permanently if
possible. And if I stuck with it, or at leasnt name-brand gasoline, then I
woulnd't need to add it back in, since I already get the same detergent out of
the pump.

-Robert
vin 6585 "X"