Re: [DML] Just changed to SS Clutch line, better, but REVERSE and 1st ge

Re: [DML] Just changed to SS Clutch line, better, but REVERSE and 1st gear STILL

I think Dave is right, before you go chasing after all of these suggestions, see if you've got an original clutch link, or an adjustable one. The great thing about adjustable ones is it allows you to chose just how far the master cylinder travels. It's a very cheap fix, which is invaluable when redoing the clutch system.

I was replacing my entire clutch system at about this time last year. I had your symptoms, and also tried putting in the clutch line, and adjustable link first. This helped slightly, but didn't remedy anything fully... and soon the problem was back again. So next I put in a new master cylinder, as mine was very slowly leaking. This again helped, but didn't cure completely the problem. So within a month or two my clutch gave out, and while the tranny was pulled for the new clutch, I took advantage of this time, and installed a new slave cylinder, throwout arm, and throwout bearing. In the end I've gotten a brand new/upgraded clutch hydrolic system... and the difference is amazing! It's like a completely different car.

Unfortunately, I think that the clutch system is just one of those things on the DeLorean that you need to completely upgrade, all at one time. When you fix one part, it only accelerates the wear on another dying part, and brings out its weaknesses quicker.

Louie Golden
VIN 10115

Also look for a mis-adjusted or worn (aftermarket) adjustable link on the clutch pedal. You didn't mention that.

Pre-order the updated second edition of "DeLorean: Stainless Steel Illusion" now! Details <a href="http://www.stainless-steel-illusion.com"; target="_blank">here!</a>