Re: Just changed to SS Clutch line, better, but REVERSE and 1st gear STI

Re: Just changed to SS Clutch line, better, but REVERSE and 1st gear STILL won't

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "steve" <steve@xxxx> wrote:
> 81 Manual Delorean 17k miles
>
> Clutch starting to not go into 1st and reverse a month after i got
> the car,
<SNIP>

I'll concur with everyone else, and say that you most likely need the shift
linkage, and the cable both adjusted. Although, I'll also add that the entire
linkage should also be lubricated with grease as well. I had simular symptoms
on my car, but not quite the same. 1st & 2nd were difficult to get into, unless I
lifted the shifter up and over to get to them. And yes, reverse was sometime
tricky. But 5th gear on my car was perfectly fine. All that I needed was a
crossgate cable adjustment to remedy my issue. The fore/aft linkage was
perfectly fine.

You need to get this taken care of ASAP, before you incure any damage to
your car. When the shifter assembly is out of adjustment, the gears inside of
the transaxle do NOT line up properly, and thus are not able to synchronize.
You inability to shift isn't a simple as somthing "sticking". It is a built in feature
to prevent you from damaging the gears. If you start trying to slam gears
around to force the car into gear, you will incurr damage. In the mean time, try
to drive conservativly, and remember to shift between gears gently.

Worst case senario: You end up damaging roll pins, syncros, and/or other
internal parts.

Best case senario: You're in traffic, you get frustrated, you slam the stick back,
and your car becomes immobile, because you just snapped Pivot Bolt inside
the chassis for the Shift Linkage! Been there, done that, so I am speaking from
personal experience. It sucks to put it kindly. Moreso when you breakdown in
the middle of a housing project area in the ghetto. Lesson learned: Pay
attention to my car, and treat her gently!

-Robert
vin 6585 "X"