Re: Out.

To evaluate a car for potential purchase, I have in the past, when a
fuel system is probably messed up, especially with a car that has
been sitting idle for a few years, disconnected the fuel pump,
removed the air filter housing and used a splash of gas in the air
horn and then used a carb cleaner in a spray can to start it. This
was a test of course just to see if the engine would run. It is a
two person job because some one has to stay at the engine to keep
cleaner sprayed into the air horn to keep it running. That way I
could quickly check the clutch, or trans, etc.

My point is; you do not need a completely functional fuel system to
start the engine to see if it is ready to run. If your fuel system
is faulty you are working with compound issues. Take the fuel system
out of the picture for a while. Also, based on your comments, I
would say you have the cams timed incorrectly. I have not
experienced it on a DeLorean but I have in some other engines when
replacing the timing belts. Your description is classic. Before you
ruin something big time, especially your new starter, I would just
resolve to get back in there and redo the cam timing. After you fix
that try to get the engine to fire without the fuel pump as I
explained above. When you have it fired and know it will run, then
tackle the fuel system.

Harold McElraft - 3354