Re: What Tires to get??

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Dick Ryan
<deloreanbiker@xxxx> wrote:
> Don't overlook the Cooper Cobra GT's. Quiet and very
> nice ride. NOT racing tires - if that's what you have
> in mind - but great American made road tires.
>
> Dick Ryan
> VIN 16867

I'll second that on the Cooper Cobra GT's. 2nd set of tires that
I've had on my car, with the first being Yokohama AVS
Intermediates (no longer manufactured).

In comparison, the Coopers have a lower speed rating
(112mph?), but hold up just fine. I've keept them @ 120mph+ for
20 minutes or so, and did not notice any chunking, cracking, or
other damage after stoping.

While treadwear is the same, the Coopers do have a lower heat
rating (B). Which is perfect to me. Yoko's would take too long to
heat up, and always had problems gripping in the cold. Unlike
my Coopers. If the grip is poor due to temp, or very oily
pavement, I've never had a problem heating them up. And it only
takes a second to two to burn them out to get them warm. Once
they're warm, they become very sticky. And when they get hot, it's
very hard to loose grip, either by accident, or by showing off. :)
Although I must say that the Yokos did appear to displace more
water. Apparent by how high I could shoot spray out from my front
wheels in comparison.

I also had a hellacious problem with trying to get Yokos to grip
properly durring emergency braking. Even in hot weather, with
dry road conditions, the rear end of my car would slide around
quite a bit. And twice I spun 180s when I was going over 50mph.
With the Coopers, it's night and day. You will still feel the inertia
of the rear trying to swing, but the car doesn't move, and I've only
had to move my steering whell about an inch or so to counter the
effects. Which was another interesting little thing I noticed. After
inspecting the road, Yokos would only lay down a minimal
amount of rubber, if any at all when braking. Where as Coopers
will lay down a fairly decent amount. It's almost as if the Coopers
will melt in order to preserve grip, but the Yokos would resist,
and just slide across the surface. I've since heard that some
folks don't like them, as they have a high plastic content in the
formula. But who knows. And I've also heard that if not balanced
properly, these tires will have a VERY short lifespan.

On the other hand, my car is now much more prone to wind
gusts on the interstate at high speeds (car@65+, wind
gusts@30mph+). But that could just be a problem with worn
suspension on my car. Wear and tear does happen after all.

I have also heard great things about the Pirelli's, and the
Michelin Pilot XGTs. When I first got my car, these were the tires
first reccomended to me (but at the time, Michelin was not
making anything that fit the DeLorean). So when it came time for
a new set, I made the comparisons, and went with Coopers.
Price was a factor with Michelins @ $115+, and Pirellis @
$130+. While the price may vary for you, I paid $68 for the fronts,
and $72 for the rears mounted and installed. Plus, I perfer the
RWL myself, and mismatched tire sets are a pet peeve that drive
me crazy. I've heard nothing but great things about the Pirellis,
and the mismatch is a perfect combination for the D as I've
heard quite a few times, from quite a few people. And since
they're all solid back, you shouldn't really notice. But it's more of a
personal thing for me.

Otherwise, if you're going to be doing quite a bit of sustained,
high-speed driving beyond the speed rating of the Coopers, then
I'd reccomend going for a more expensive tire. Otherwise,
Coopers are a great buy for those on a budget, and/or anyone
who commutes in their daily driver.

-Robert