Re: coil voltage on transistorized ignition

Re: coil voltage on transistorized ignition

You don't want full 12v on MOST vintage transistorized ignition
systems. Will eventually fry the module.

You DO want 12v on old fashioned points, but that's another story...

7 volts at rest is a bit low but within specs (I'm 8 at rest, 10
running -- same as late model Lincolns!). If your starting relay isn't
functioning is probably too little juice to fire engine. Run a wire
temporarily from the jump start post and see if that will kick things.
Engine should then stay running without it.

Am willing to bet your ballast resistor connections are corroded or
rusty. This is a job for sandpaper (spray cleaners won't cut it). Of
course resistors themselves could be bad -- test with ohm setting on
your multimeter (use scale big enough to see 1/10ths). Anything more
than .5 ohms each is bad. Your battery could be dying too.

I'm a big fan of electricity. All my vehicles (except the truck --
sorry old friend) run 40,000 or 45,000 volt coils and LOW resistance
plugs. Absolutely no ignition problems whatsoever, no matter the
weather, temperature, altitude, etc. Louie G (with new ignition) will
probably second the verdict: is no substitute for a man-sized spark.

Bill Robertson