Low End Hesitation Fixed!!!

Well, it was a grueling day yesterday, which continued into today,
but 06960 is back up and running once again!

What did we do? More like what DIDN'T we do.

Yesterday after everything was put back together, the car would fire
right up, but die 1/2 second later. We managed to keep it running
via the cold start valve, but as we all know, thats not right. We
pulled the injectors out and "cracked" them, and cleaned of the
Platinum +4 plugs, tested the fuel pressure (~4 bar), and put
everything back together. It fired right up that time, but was
idleing very very poorly. It was all over the board from 500-2000
rpm. I took it out for a test drive to warm it up good before
hooking it up to the scope. 5 minutes later it quit on me while
slowly accelerating in gear. I pulled into a parking lot and tired
to restart it, no luck. It was doing the same thing it had been
when we first put it back together, only this time it wouldn't run
at all on the cold start. Tinkering with the mixture a little more
didn't help either. Pulled it back to the shop, let it sit
overnight.

Today we went at it again. Still wasn't starting, so we raised the
fuel pressure to an estimated 5 bar (havn't measured it yet), and
replaced the plugs with normal Bosch Supers, and cracked the
injectors one more time. Still no luck. It would fire right away,
but die a 1/2 second later. Finally, I decided to put my original
coil and ballast resistors back on. I had replaced them with a
Bosch 25,000 volt super coil when I did the tuneup 3 weeks ago.
VAROOM!!! Fired right up and was running "almost-great". There is
still a small idle fluxuation (doesn't seem like normal lambda
flux), but its running great in gear, and the low end hesitation and
miss that I had is now gone.

I'll be taking it back to my uncle's shop one more time on tuesday
night to verify the correct fuel pressure, and ensure the mixture is
correct. Hopefully nothing will go astray untill then, and after
then.

Jim Reeve
MNDMC - Minnesota DeLorean Club
DMC-6960