Re: [DML] Torque question / Exhaust

Travis

> The process for removing the exhaust manifold has begun. Tuesday I began
> spraying all the bolts with penetrating oil and will be doing it every
night
> until I actually get time to take them off.
I have just done this job and heres a tip...well it worked very well for
me...
Using a decent 11mm 6 point socket apply reasonable torque to the nut then
keep hitting the socket with a hammer and it will give way just a little as
first and just keep tapping away until the nut moves freely. If the nut is
badly corroded to the stud then the stud hopfully will come out complete. If
you do snap any studs they normaly snap at the manifold. When you are left
with studs I strongly recomend getting a decent roller-type stud extractor
like the Facom 287B.7 ( someone on the list said you can get them at Sears
in the US? ) then again apply reasonable torque on the stud and just keep
tapping with the hammer until it comes free.
I also strongly recomend NOT using any heat unless you really know what you
are doing. I tried heat and it caused me problems with 2 studs, the other
10 I used this method and it worked perfectly

> What are the torque settings for the exhaust manifold?
Rob Grady told me the manual says 16lb but you can go to 18 tops..he also
said something about not using anti seze on the studs

Id be intrested to know how you get on

Chris S
UK