Re: [DML] Air intake performance

--- thomaspaulmccoy <thomaspaulmccoy@xxxx> wrote:
> Removing the entire assembly yields the best
> performance gains. !
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Actually, that isn't quite true. Almost every article
I've read and dyno charts I have seen show that total
removal of the intake assembly does NOT produce the
best performance gains.

Because I travel over a gravel road almost daily
during the summer, I was getting dust on the throttle
plate and the air filter was "clogging" much more
frequently than desired. I was also pulling in hot
air off the engine since the twin turbos require the
moving of the alternator and this, in turn, requires
the removal of the stock "intake tube".

I now have the same air intake that Ron Wester has on
his "Screaming Yellow Zonker" DeLorean.

PURISTS READ NO FURTHER!!!!

Essentially, we cut an opening into the passenger side
rear pontoon and placed a very large K&N filter in the
pontoon. Then we ran a 3" I.D. tube to a throttle
body cover from a Vortec engine.

Several things were accomplished by this. First, I am
now receiving "cold air" very efficiently. The enigne
breathes very nicely with noticeable gains in
performance and mileage. Second, the throttle body
plate stays immaculately clean. Picking up the air
where I now do eliminates the dust sucked up into the
engine compartment. Also, the new "hat" is held on by
a hose and clamps. This eliminates the dust seepage
around the o-ring at the throttle body.

IMHO an air flow over the engine will not do much for
cooling the engine. It would, however, be nice for an
intercooler for those of us with turbos.

A final thought on "hot engines": Early in my
DeLorean ownership I experienced overheating on a
somewhat regular basis. Since switching years ago to
the all metal, triple core radiator and adding the
self bleeder, I have had zero cases of overheating and
that includes being stuck in stop and go traffic in
100º+ heat for nearly an hour.

Just my personal experience.

Dick Ryan
VIN 16867