[DML] Re: What about my AC high pressure cut of switch?

[DML] Re: What about my AC high pressure cut of switch?

The green "O" rings are good for R-12 or -134. The real problem is the
dessicant and the oil. If they are not changed when the -134 is put in
eventually it will cause problems. The system should be flushed out
and ALL of the "O" rings changed. No reputable shop will just squirt
Freon into a system anymore. If the system needs Freon then it HAS a
leak. Freon is not consumed, it is recirculated like anti-freeze. The
proper procedure is to remove the freon, pressurize the system with
nitrogen and leak-test. After finding the leak and repairing then the
system is evacuated to a hard vacuum for at least 1/2 hour, the longer
the better and then recharged with a measured amount of refrigerent
and a leak marker. Finally the system is performance tested. A really
sharp shop will also check the oil for PH. In most cases though they
just drain and replace it. If you can keep the system filled with R-12
or one of the new drop-in replacements you are probably better off.
The A/C in the Delorean was not engineered for -134. To use it the
system will run higher pressures and the coils are not sized for it so
the performance will be 20% less then R-12.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Don Ekhoff <ekhoff@xxxx> wrote:
> David<
>
> Related question: I am tryng to take good care of several DeLoreans.
> On the one driven most, I experienced poor AC performance while on a
> road trip in N. Idaho this time last year. I stopped at a remote shop
> that charged the system for a very nominal fee. My thought at the time
> was that the total bill was probably less than the cost of the R-12
> anywhere else in the U.S.. Now a year later I was concidering using a
> replacement kit, doing the proper oil change/pump down and replacement
> with R-134 as I have seen reports of people happy with the results.
Now