Re: [DML] Re:Fuel injector cleaners in gas tank ----Noooooo don't do it!

Rust -

Rust is simply Oxidation of any material (even wood
"rusts" technically). Some materials are rust
inhibitory (see stainless steel) but nothing and I
mean NOTHING is rustPROOF. On metalic products,
Oxidation typically occurs at points of
electropotential differential... creases, bends, etc.
(that is why wrecked steel can rust under painted
areas)

Injector cleaner is primarily a solvent, and has a
caustic or basic pH (above 7.0). Microgrooves from
particles in gas can cause rusting when you radically
alter the pH of a system. Taking them out, exposing
them to ambient air, temperature change, and then
putting them back in to a solvent can cause the
phenomonon you describe.

Also, Stainless Steel can rust (and does) when the pH
and temperature change radically (I use Stainless
Steel on most of my Remediation trailers, and they
have a life expectancy of double that of cold rolled
steel... or about 8 years instead of four....

Pete