Re: DeLorean Insurance

As pointed out in the past the rules the insurance companies follow
varies greatly from State to State. You really can only go by the
comments from others in your particular State. Talk to local owners
and see what they do. Be very careful about "regular" insurance and be
sure you understand what you would collect in the event of a "total"
(which in some cases may be a VERY low value!!!) or an unrecovered
stolen, between the deductible and the market value you may be in for
a huge surprise! Unless you intend to make a daily driver out of your
Delorean the best way to go is with classic insurance. Look in
Hemmings Motor News for all of the insurance companies that cater to
older cars and are very reasonable in their rates if you can accept
the limitations on use. In some States some companies can only offer
certain types of insurance, being blacklisted may only mean that they
cannot insure cars older than a certain # of years. On all policies
what you want to insure to is known as "AGREED UPON PRICE" so you know
up front what you will get and not find out after the fact that they
will pull out a book, look up a price of $10,000 subtract $1,500 as
the deductible and hand you $8,500 for a car you think should get you
$15,000. Also at that price it is easy to total the car because many
insurance companies will total the car if the cost to repair is within
20% of the total value of the car. So that means if the damage exceeds
$8,000, they pay you off and keep the car! These numbers are for
example ONLY, your results may vary.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757