Re: Thumping suspension

Aaron - The first place that I would look would be the rubber bushings
that connect the front sway bar to the front lower control arms. The
bushings are known to deteriorate, which lets the sway bar thump and
rattle against the lower control arms. The stock rubber bushings are
relatively cheap (under $5 each) so they are not too painful to
replace. The major symptoms that I found when my bushings failed were
lack of control during heavy braking ... the car twitched
side-to-side, and also a "twitchy feeling" at highway speeds, caused
by caster variations in the front wheels. These bushings hold the
lower control arms (LCA's) in position (forward and aft), and when
they allow movement, the caster is contantly varying. You can access
the rearmost bushings by removing the nuts that thread onto the ends
of the sway bar where it pokes through the LCA's. The forward pair of
bushings can be viewed after you remove the front sway bar. Check
those out, and let us know what you find.

Toby Peterson VIN 2248
Winged1

-- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "aaron_t_graham" <aaron_t_graham@xxxx>
wrote:
> My suspension has been making thumping and "boingy" noises in the
> front (mostly driver's side, I believe) for a couple of months now.
> I'm trying to determine what exactly is causing the noise and how I
> can fix it.
>
> The noise most often happens when I stop hard. However, there is a
> spot in the road near where I live that dips down just a little bit
> right before a stop sign (so I'm always slowing down at that point),
> and it almost always makes a noise there, no matter how slow/fast
I'm