Stop light switch (100820) repair

I just found out that my brake lights have not been working for a
few days now. I checked the continuity in the switch and it was
shot. Eventhough this switch is inexpensive to replace, I decided to
take it apart and attempt a temporary fix until the part had been
ordered. The switch can be disassembled by removing the small
plastic black plate. Inside you will find a spring,retainer clip,
plastic plunger pin and a contact plate. Over some 20 years, the
contacts on the plate and the 2 blade connectors inside can arc and
create enough heat to melt some of the inside. My switch showed some
melting but not enough to cause serious damage. Clean the contact
plate and the 2 blade connectors on the inside and outside. The
blade connectors can be pulled from the plastic switch casing by
twisting the ends and then pulling them through. Reassemble in
reverse and test. This should be it for te overhaul. Happy Braking
for Summer 2003!!!
JohnE.
10250