Re: [DML] re:Engine Swaps and tranny Questions (Buick Version-LONG)

Re: [DML] re:Engine Swaps and tranny Questions (Buick Version-LONG)

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, webmaster@xxxx wrote:
<SNIP>
> You have a damn good point there - the DeLorean does have excessively
tall gears for a powerhouse of an engine. FYI I could supply the larger final
drive section....

> Martin

Getting new gear ratios shouldn't really be too much of a problem. UN1
transaxles may not be the most common over here, but the do appear to be
had rather inexpensivly. And since they all come from 4-cylinder engines,
they pretty much all have the tigher gear ratios. If I would have known this
before, I might have completed a tranny swap with my new clutch. The shift
patterns are the same, but I don't know if any modifications are needed to
adapt the shift linkage and crossgate cable.

My question here is if perhaps the DeLorean application of the transaxle isn't
prehaps a victim of shoddy parts from Renault? I've seen applications where
both a 350Bhp PRV is mounted to the same tranny, and where even the
Rover V-8 has been used as well. they all appear to stand up well to the
power being delievered. I've also seen online various webpages that claim
that anywhere from 300-400 horsepower can be absorbed by it safely. So is it
possible that along with varied gear ratios, that the quality of the internals may
also be varied as well?

-Robert
vin 6585 "X"