Re: [DML] Re: AC quits working when the car stops moving?

On Wed, 7 May 2003, Harold McElraft wrote:

> One of the connections may be hot; maybe enough to burn a wire or
> connection so look for that. Also, the low pressure cycling switch
> on the AC accumulator may have defective contacts inside.
>
> Look for damaged wires in the circuit. Take off the fitting at the
> accumulator and try a jumper across the circuit and test the amps at the
> clutch. That will give you some idea about the switch. Based on your
> unit number you may have a high pressure switch; jumper test that
> connection also. You might check the ground wire on the fan motor.

I've gone over this whole circuit, and cleaned every connection up,
resulting in an increase at the clutch of 0.4 A. I'm still about 0.4 A
short of your suggested target, but I seem to be close enough that the
compressor is working for long periods of time.

I should have mentioned that the pressure switches and accumulator are
brand new. I checked them out anyway, and found that my test shunt was
actually consuming a little more current than the switches.

I thoroughly cleaned the ground where the cooling fans go about six months
ago, so I'm fairly certain it's in good shape too.

I'm really not sure at this point where the other 0.4 A or so is
disappearing, but as long as the AC is working, I'm not going to complain.

Thanks for the advice.

-andrew
Houston TX