Re: [DML] Porcsche transmission for DeLorean

Re: [DML] Porcsche transmission for DeLorean

Thank you for the response to my questions.

It seems that the Chevy Vortec 4.3 V-6 might be the easiest fit,
considering a few people have already have done it and have made it
work. I really like the Audi V6 engines both turbo and non-turbo,
but the ECU integration might be an issue.

Of the Honda engines, the new 240-hp 24-valve VTEC V-6 engine seems
to to be a pretty good option, not withstanding the front-wheel
rotation issue. The engine on the S2000 is way-cool, but the engine
doesn't "open up" with its variable valve timing until around 6,000+
RPM. I have heard that the S2000 is most happy on a track and that
regular street driving of the S2000 is "underwhelming" (made up
word). The Nissan 350Z 287 hp 3.5-liter DOHC 24-valve V6 engine also
looks to be a pretty cool option.

The reason that I suggested the possibility of a Chevy Small Block
based V4 is because other manufactures (i.e. Saab and Ford) have
utilized V4 engines in various vehicles, (mostly truck applications),
and now Honda and others use V4 engines in motorcycle applications.
True, inline engines are easier to balance and cheaper to manufacture
than "V" engines. I like the idea of using a horizontally opposed
engine, but the width of the engine doesn't seem to be compatable
with the DeLorean engine bay. The V4 speculation is just that,
speculation. I try to think outside the box, I figure if no one ever
thought outside the box, there wouldn't be any little shiny cars with
gullwing doors on the road.

Concerning the recent postings about transmission adaptors, I would
like to offer the following link: Unicap Transmission Adaptors
(http://www.pnc.com.au/~bill/Transmission.html).

The new Mazda Rotary engine is cool too, ignoring the low torque, but
now with good fuel economy and emissions.

Thank you,
Ben Ferguson
Member of the Board of Directors - American Hydrogen Association
(www.clean-air.org)
Member - Arizona DeLorean Club (www.az-d.org)
captainhydrogen@xxxx

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Jim Strickland <ihaveanaccount@xxxx>
wrote:
> This is not necessarily true. I think you are right that most
Hondas
> turn the wrong way, but the 2liter, 240hp out of the S2000 (which I
think
> would be one of the best candidates) turns in the correct
direction.

> For people who wanted to retain the Renault transmission, this
would not
> make a difference. A fix would be as simple as flipping the ring
and
> pinion in the final drive of the transmission. Remember the
transmission
> is used in FWD applications, so we all know it can spin backwards.
Some