Re: [DML] Porcsche transmission for DeLorean

Re: [DML] Porcsche transmission for DeLorean

The 996 might fit, why don't you find one and measure it? Do you really
expect us to give you all the answers?

The 993's G50, which is also a 6-speed, fit with a little modificiation
of the frame. This was only necessary becuase of the length of my
engine. With a smaller engine, it may fit better. If you are running a
hampster wheel, the transmission will fit with no problem.

high powered imported engines are normally high RPM. ie, VTEC. I
considered the Honda's 2 liter, 240hp engine. The redline is 50% higher
than the stock PRV. imagine using it with the renault transmission-
first gear redlines at 45mph, 2nd gear at 90, 3rd at 135? Doesn't make
much sense unless you want to drive around in 2nd gear all day. Plus, it
would have no power off the line.

The porsche gears are long as well. I wouldn't recommend trying to use
it as a good renault replacement, gearwise. You would have to change the
final drive on the renault or the porsche to get good results.

Cut a v-8 in half? If you cut it the other way and have a slant-4, will
that have 233 hp too? The idea is ludicrous an the implementation would
be the most horrifying freak show ever. How many v-4s have you ever
seen? Ever think of why?

If you like Chevy 4's, check out the 2.2L ecotec. There are a few
instances of 1000hp+ dragsters with the engine, so it certainly has
potential. Plus it's light at just over 300 pounds. You can add plenty
weight with an enormous turbocharger.

I think the renault transmission is like 110 pounds? it says somewhere
in the archive. I think it was 20 lbs less than the 993 g50, which I
believe weighed in at 133 pounds.

Jim

On Fri, 09 May 2003 05:41:52 -0000 "captain_hydrogen"
<captainhydrogen@xxxx> writes:
> I found the following online:
>
> [Porsche 01 996 Carrera g96-00 6 speed transmission w/ LSD M220 5k
> mi
> complete $3500]
>
> Does anyone know if the Porsche 996 g96-00 6 speed transmission will
>
> fit in the DeLorean?
>
> Also my questions concerning other engines in my previous post have
> not been addressed;
>
> Has anyone on the DML considered or tried any higher horsepower
> import four or six cylinder engines for a DeLorean engine mod?
>
> Has anyone "cut" a Chevy 350 in half to make a large displacement
> (2.867736 liter) V4 that would weigh about 310 lbs., use half the
> gas
> of a V8, and could produce 233hp (and possibly 280+hp) without
> forced
> induction?
>
> Now that we know that the PRV-6 weighs 375lbs. Does anyone know how
>
> much the Renault R30 transmission weighs?
>
> (ref. Digest Number 1492 - 10. Other engine/transmission
> considerations/questions).
>
> Thank you,
> Ben Ferguson
> Member of the Board of Directors - American Hydrogen Association
> (www.clean-air.org)
> Member - Arizona DeLorean Club (www.az-d.org)
> captainhydrogen@xxxx

> address: