Re: Engine Swaps and tranny questions

Louie,

The chevy 350 powered D at the Memphis show did use a stock
Delorean transmission and the owner did mention that he has
already gone through a few transmission input shafts, which
was the only transmission part damage that he has had.

Darryl Tinnerstet's Supercharged 4.3L Chevy V6 uses a stock
Delorean transmission and a custom "beefed up" input shaft,
all connected up using a custom engine/trans adapter plate.
Darryl has not reported any transmission part damage.

As for my D with an '84 Grand National Buick 3.8L Turbo V6,
the only transmission related damage was the input shaft
that was not seated in the Buick crank bushing and the nut
that backed out through the inspection cover. Now that the
entire engine, clutch and transmission relationship has been
completely re-engineered to use the most OEM Delorean parts
as possible, all properly aligned and mounted for durability
and both quick and inexpensive replacement, I will let the
list know how this configuration works when its all together
and give it a good "shake down" test run and break-in period.

My High HP D setup should be ready for a test run very soon.

Later,
Rich W.

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Louie G <louie@xxxx> wrote:
> I've been cruising around DeLorean sites the last few days checking
out various engine swaps people have done. What I'm looking at
specifically is what transmissions people use when they do these large
swaps. I've seen where both Bob Brandys Land Rover v8 D, and Jim
Strickland's Mazda 3 rotor D both use porsche transmissions. On the
other hand Rich W.'s Turbo Buick uses a stock D tranny with a custom
bellhousing. There's a couple of swaps I saw on Tamir's site that I'm
curious as to what trannies they used- the Chevy 350 powered D which
was at the Memphis show, and the Ford v8 powered D at the Cleveland
show. If there's anyone else out there on the list, or knows of
someone who's done an engine swap, I'd really like to hear how you got
around the limitations of the stock D transmission.