Re: Rear Main Seal Replacement

Take the axles all the way out of the car. Just remove all those big
bolts at both ends, they come right out in one piece including the CV
joints (good time to re-build those too). Worst part of the entire
job is that shift linkage. Be sure to remove the rear link from the
car, don't just unhook the transmission end. It will just be in the
way. It also simplifies things a little if you take the trans mounts
off the trans before you pull it out.

Second worst part is putting it back in (very heavy!!). I've done it
on the floor and on a lift, believe me the lift makes it LOTS easier.

Dave Swingle <--just did one Sunday, doing another in a couple of
weeks if you'd like to watch/help (northern IL)

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "cruznmd" <racuti1@xxxx> wrote:
> I'm still struggling to make a plan of attack for my blown head
> gasket and oil/coolant leak. I had decided on a total engine
rebuild,
> but I have been advised that it's just un-necessary by the good
folks
> in Houston.
>
> After crawling under my car, I've pretty much confirmed that the
> crank seal is the source of a large oil/coolant leak (I know,
you're
> saying that if that was the problem, there wouldn't be coolant in
> it). I believe I have a combination of problems.
>
> Warren has advised me to just drop the tranny in my driveway and
> replace the seal. After I undo the bell-housing bolts and the shift
> linkage, what do I do about the drive axeles? Do they just slip off
> with enough clearance, or do I have to undo the large bolts at the
CV