Re: Front Rotor Replacement

On Sun, 20 Apr 2003 20:58:42 EDT, Dave wrote:

> How should I go about installing the front bearings into the hub?
> Should I have a machine shop press them in or is this something I could do?

I've had to replace more than 1 front bearing unfortunately...
The easies way was shown to me by a local mechanic (Thanks Ed!).

Put the bearing into the freezer for a couple of hours,
disassemble the hub and rotor (very straight forward removal
of bolts and stuff) remove the worn/damaged bearing.
On mine I could tap it out using an old socket.
Make sure you tap it out STRAIGHT, the fit is VERY tight...

To get the bearing in we heated the bare hub on an old electric cooker
for about 5 minutes, the the cold bearing would just fall in!

Let everything cool (mind your fingers!) and re-assemble everything
carefully. Make sure you torque everything to specs accoriding the manual.
When putting the bearing over the spindle, make sure the bearing gets
enough "pinch". I had one worn inner seal (the top-hat-like thingie)
that cause my bearing to be too loose; the applied torque was on the
end of the spindle, not the bearing! Caused the bearing to fail within
200 miles the first time! We put in a spacer to compensate and it's
been OK for the last year or so, so I'm happy...

Good luck,

JAN van de Wouw
Thinking Different... Using a Mac...

DMC-12 "Dagger" since Sep. 2000