Gas flap to Be or not to Be

For all intentional purposes the gas flap conversation was excellent,
now that we all know the place where the gasoline does go after all.
My personal experience with my 82 is that without the flap, you get
not funny looks at all but quite the opposite, mysterious and cool.
You must only try this once, 82 and 83 owners. When you tell an
innocent by-stander that you have just picked up the car with no
operator's manual. It is new and needs gas desperately. You ask them
to help you find the gas filler cap. Good luck if they find it
without you finally lifting the trunk to expose the gas cap. Great
prank but wait for their reaction. Have fun!
John E.