[no subject]

Richard,
I hesitate to write in here, since I am so new to the DeLorean, but
I'll contribute what little I know.

Another possibility to consider. The engine is set up with cylinder
liners, and a path to get antifreeze into the oil pan is via the seat
between the liner and the block (upper crankcase). In my engine with
54,000 miles, I had some serious corrosion on the #3 and #6 cylinder
liner seats - down to less than a tenth of an inch for the paper
gasket to do it's job once installed. I decided, with the advice on
my machine shop, to install the cylinder liners with the appropriate
RTV (I'll let you know how this turns out), instad of replacing the
block.

>From what I can find, failure of the cylinder liner at the seat isn't
real common on this engine, but I had a water cooled vanogan with the
same cylinder liner set up, and an exhaust leak around the head
gasket or via a crack on the base of any cylinder liner caused all
kinds of problems with overpressurization in the hollow portion of
the block (where the antifreeze is), including casuing the water
bottle to explode. It will take the path of least resistance.

An easy test for this is available. You can get an additive to add to
the antifreeze and if exhaust gasses are present, the antifreeze
changes color.

Since the engine is all aluminum, I'd tread real lightly. Sounds like
you may need to disect anyway. Any good machine shop can check the
true of the engine and suggest a course of action.

For what it's worth,
Dan in Cocoa