Re: Critical Engine Failure

The first thing to do is to try to see where the fluids are coming out
from. If you can determine that it will give you as better idea where
this will lead to. I wouldn't run the engine anymore. Fill the cooling
system with water and put a pressure tester on it. Pump it up and see
what is leaking. A compression test can also give you some info on the
health of the internals. It is probably cheaper to fix the engine then
replace unless there is a lot of internal damage and or a cracked
block which is rare. The most likely problem is a cracked head but if
fluids are "pouring" out it will be very evident once you pull the
heads. A blown gasket usually doesn't cause fluids to pour out. This
happened to me on a truck and what happened was the head of an exhaust
valve came off and the piston pushed it through the head causing
coolant and oil leaks. The hydrostatic lock of the coolant getting
into the other cylinders bent all of the push rods and connecting
rods. Since the block and the crank was alright the engine was
rebuildable. On the PRV the cylinders are liner sleeves like on a
truck so unless the block cracks badly it is rebuidable. Don't trust
the oil pressure gauge, put a mechanical one on if you want to really
see the pressure. Check the oil again to see if it is milky. If it is,
it means water is getting into it, not good. If it is not milky maybe
you just blew a coolant hose? Watch the oil level to see if it goes
down when the engine is running again but don't run the engine if
there is water in the oil.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Richard Acuti <racuti1@xxxx> wrote:
> List,
>
> Everyone here has been wonderful with advice and info. Don't fail me
now...

> I bought #5335 undrivable, and have been repairing things as I find
them. I was idling it in my driveway 4 days ago when something seemed
to "give", and it acted as though it had a vacuum leak. I shut it down
and had to leave it for a few days. I ran it this evening, again it
acted that way, but with a sickening twist...green coolant mixed with
oil came spilling out on the ground once it warmed up.

> It only has 22K on it, but it sat for years before I bought it. The
oil level was correct, I'd just checked it. The oil pressure does
climb pretty high when it was revved up. I've never "redlined" the
engine though.

> Cracked block, or blown head gasket? You be the judge... I'm leaning
towards the gasket.

> After all I've done, to get hit with this...I nearly puked I was so
upset. Should I just toss the engine, or is it worth fixing? Would
high oil pressure blow the head gasket? What would make the oil
pressure too high? (No, I didn't put too much in)

at http://www.delorean.com/2003event.asp

Ads, 6MB, POP & more! http://www.everyone.net/selectmail?campaign=tag