Re: Gas Tank Cleaning/Flushing

There is no need to remove the fuel tank from the car. After removing
the fuel pump, boots, pick-up hose, and baffle drain out whatever
liquid is still inside. Wipe out with paper towels or rags. If there
is any stubborn residue it can usually be removed with a rag soaked
with acetone. Be careful not to break loose the stud in the tank.
Thououghly clean ALL of the parts and really get the tank as clean as
you can. You should be able to put a white paper towel in there and it
should come out white. Be very careful as gasoline vapors are EXTREMLY
FLAMMABLE. Dispose of any fuel soaked rags properly and do this in a
well ventillated area preferably not in a garage. 4 years isn't that
bad, it should clean up easily. I had to clean out a tank on a Jaguar
that sat for 20 years. It smelled like shoe polish and the residue had
the consistancy of play-dough. I had to have the tank steamed out
twice. It did seem to preserve it though, the tin-plate inside was
shiny after it cleaned up! When you get the car going drive it for a
while and then change the fuel filter. You may also have to have the
fuel injectors cleaned.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757