Re: i'm also running rich!

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Soma576@xxxx wrote:
> List,
>
> i have been reading the current conversation about cars running
rich. i have
> a similar problem with only one hang-up - my car starts every time
and runs
> well!

Andy

This could be several things but I think I would start with several
quick possibilities - be sure the wires for the fuel warm up
regulator and the cold start valve are not crossed. (The cold start
valve wire has a blue cap just like the valve)

Next I would check the vacuum lines going to the fuel warm up
regulator and be sure the vacuum is off once warmed up. If it still
has vacuum then the valve under the intake manifold is bad. That
same vacuum valve under the intake manifold also operates vacuum to
the distributor. Sounds like if you feel you need more timing,
vacuum may not be getting to the distributor advance. The valve
sends vacuum to the fuel pressure regulator and no vacuum to the
distributor below 40F. Above 40F just reverse, vacuum to the
distributor advance no vacuum to the fuel regulator.

If all is ok so far I would take off the cold start valve place it
in a small jar, put your thumb over the cold start valve hole (if it
is too hot use something to plug the hole but be careful there is
vacuum created so don't use something that will get sucked into the
intake) and start the engine. Observe if the cold start valve is
activated or leaking. It should be dry with no fuel discharge if it
is functioning properly (above 40F).

Next, be sure the frequency valve is buzzing. If it isn't it could
be stuck or the lambda system has died on you. But, since you say it
hunts, this is not as likely.

If that is ok then I would have Hervey at SpecialTauto clean and
inspect your injectors and test the fuel warm up regulator.

Bottom line - your fuel is either leaking into the engine through an
injector or cold start valve or the regulating pressures are too low
because of a defective fuel pressure regulator or frequency valve -
or the system(s) that controls them.

Let us know what you find. 30 percent fuel loss it pretty large so I
would think it is something fairly obvious.

Harold McElraft - 3354