Re: rotor removal, ball joint removal

I just installed new lower control arms on my car and in the process
also replaced all the bushings, ball joints, rotors, and bearings.
I'll send in a report on my experience with my new control arms in a
separate message.

To get my front rotor off I pulled the hub off the stub axel, and
then on the workbench the rotor can be unbolted from the hub.

After removing the large nut holding the hub to the sub axel, the
hub/rotor assembly can be pulled off the stub axel. In my case, the
inner sleeve of the bearing did not want to let go of the axel, so I
had some trouble getting the hub/rotor assembly pulled off. I
resorted to use of a puller than ended up wrecking my bearing
(fortunately I was planning on replacing the bearing anyway). A
little tapping on the inner bearing sleve that was sticking to the
axel resulted in it letting go.

In my case I had the lower control arms out, so replacing the ball
joints in them was easy. There is a snap ring retainer on the top.
After it's removed the ball joint can be pressed out. The new ball
joint is pressed back in before the snap ring is replaced. Doing it
on the car would be a little more cumbersome since you don't have
the arm out for easy access, but doing it on the car would eliminate
the need for pulling the springs out. Pulling the springs out is not
that hard and you probably want to replace the inner bushing on the
control arms anyway since you're doing all the work on the front.

The factory lower control arms are pretty soft, so pressing the ball
out isn't very hard. I found that my large bench vise was sufficient
to press the ball joints out/in. You need approrpaite spacers
(usually pieces of pipe or leftovers from bearing sleeves) to use
for pressing. Alternatively, take them to a machine shop.

The top ball joint is factory fastened using non-serviceable
fasteners. Using a Dremel or other cutting tool, cut the 4 nubs off
protruding from the top of the top control arm flush and the ball
joint will come out. The new ball joint uses nut/bolts for fasteners.

Knut