Re: Help with Speedometer

On Fri, 04 Apr 2003 23:34:48 -0000,"dmcorlando2003" wrote:

> Shorly after I got the car the spedometer started to work
> intermitantly. Eventually it just stopped. I ordered a new lower
> speedo cable and installed it. It was the braded stainless steel one
> from specialtauto in Wash. However after istalling it the darn
> speedometer still doesn't work.

Did you check if the old speedocable was defective?
Did you check is the Angle Drive was functional?
If not, did you check if the drive cap was in place,
fit snugly in the hub and the hole on the back wasn't rounded out?
IMHO the angle drive is MUCH more prone to failure than the lower
speedo cable. Do you have the lower Speedo Cable Bracket on your car?
Without this there's an unacceptable amount of stress on the Angle Drive,
which causes it to wear out prematurely, or can result in the cable
snagging in the wheel, especially on left hand turns...

Have a look in the Photo's section, in the folder "Techie Stuff",
there's a folder there called "Angle Drive" which I put up over
a year ago, showing the bracket and the wheather proofing kit.

> All of the other dash guages work but when you start the car the
> other guages "come alive" but the speedometer needle stays "limp".

That's normal; the speedo is driven meachanically by the cable,
all the other gauges are driven electrically, so they "come alive"
when you turn on the ignition, the speedo starts moving when you drive.

Good luck,

JAN van de Wouw
Thinking Different... Using a Mac...

DMC-12 "Dagger" since Sep. 2000