Re: Modified Deloreans

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, MPolzin@xxxx wrote:
> Has anyone actually attemped to do such a thing yet? Mounting the
engine up
> front would certainly do away with the front end issues (lack of
steering
> because your tires are off the ground) and putting some real HP
into a D.
> Are there any 500+ HP Deloreans out there? I am seriously
considering
> undertaking this project, and would be interested in feedback.
>
> Mike
> VIN 4761

Hi Mike.

I've attempted such a thing. My Delorean has an engine in front. I
don't believe its possible to fit a powerful engine in front. I
researched that idea thoroughly, and came up with only a few engines
that would fit. I have a 2.0 liter engine from a 1988 Honda Prelude
in the front of my Delorean. If you look at one of those cars,
you'll notice the exceptionally low hood it has. Very few cars have
front ends this low. It was quite a trick to get even this small
engine to go in.

I don't believe there are any 500+hp Deloreans out there. Mine has
ratings of 130hp front, and 400hp rear (two engines), but that 400hp
figure is gross, the net total hp of my car is approximately 435hp
with both engines running. Technically, since the car has not run
yet, the actual output of my car is 0hp.

Very few things in my car escaped modification. I've logged lots of
hours in my car to get it where it's at. It should be running this
summer. Was it worth the effort? That depends on crowd response I
guess. Would I do it again? No.

Rick G.