Re: Auto trans slipping

Slipping in an automatic transmission is BAD NEWS. It means either low
line pressure or worn frictions or both. Drop the pan and see how much
friction materiel is there. Take the filter apart with the directions
in DMCNEWS.COM tech section auto trans filter. Reassemble with some
clean fluid and check the line pressure as per Workshop Manual. If it
is still slipping the trans will have to come out to replace the
frictions and seals. This could be the after effects of driving too
long on a malfunctioning shift computer. Also check the fluid level as
per the Workshop Manual, there is a right way to do it (a low level
could cause the slipping). While you are at it check the final drive,
it has a separate oil level.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, RJRavalli@xxxx wrote:
> I've noticed recently that my AT is slipping from time to time,
particularly after the car has been sitting cold for a few hours after
having been driven. It upshifts but it's a little jerky; this happens
maybe once or twice a day when I drive it. Now I am leaking some AT
fluid (I believe I know the reason why) but the dip stick seems to be
telling me that there is fluid in there. Most of the stick appears
(at least to me) "thick" with AT fluid when I check it.

> I just replaced my computer/governor two years ago, and put about
4-5k miles on the car per year. Could it be going bad on me again or
is this more of a mechanical problem?