car mysteriously died

List,

hmm, what a familiar subject line! LOL!!!
well here's one that had me stumped tonight. i was driving my car down a
busy street after it was fully warmed up and suddenly the car died as i
slowed down at a stop. i turned the key and it started up again. hmm, ok.
so i drive about another 2 or 3 blocks and the car dies again! this time i
tried starting it and it ran for about 3 seconds then it quit. subsequent
attempts met with failure. the car would crank but failed to start, like
there was no gas.

luckily it's easy to convince young kids to help you push your car into a
parking lot. from there i began a diagnosis. i started by checking under my
car for gas puddles, checked all my fuel hoses in the engine bay, etc. no
leaks found. check wires on ignition resistor, check plug wires, checked
wiring to cold start, idle motor, CPR, they are good. went to relay box, all
fuses ok and not hot, all relays good and not hot. then i opened up the fuel
pump cover. everything was dry (blew a fitting off a line last summer,
thought that was the problem again). didn't see any problems there.

well as i was checking things i would try starting the car again. every now
and then the car would start and run for a few seconds then shut off. it
wouldn't sputter it would just die. i would also try giving it gas. i could
rev it a few times and it would sound just fine, then it would die and no
matter how much gas i gave it, i couldn't get it to rev again or even
sputter, like i had no spark anymore or the fuel pump shut off. with this in
mind, the next time the car ran i put my hand on the fuel pump (which sounded
just fine), i found that the pump didn't shut off until the car had
completely shut down. it would buzz until everything else was dead. not sure
what exactly that helps determine. then checked my ignition wires again and
i pulled the relay out of the socket which is right next to the ignition
resistor. then i tried starting the car and this time it ran and didn't
quit! i drove it home.

any idea if this relay was coincidence? what does it do? any other ideas?

Andy

then suddenly, the car started

Soma576@xxxx
1982 DeLorean DMC-12 VIN#11596