Re: Fuel octane

If you want to try lower octane fuel you will need to adjust the
distributer to retard the timming to prevent knocking. You should try
it under high loads, like up a hill with the engine hot on a hot day.
If it knocks you have to retard more. Retarding the spark will
decrease mileage and power so you quickly reach a point of diminishing
returns. Unless there is a large difference between the grades you are
better off trying to stay with the higher grade. Higher than 91 won't
do much so you don't have to put any higher octane in than required.
Most of us don't drive the car all that much anyway so it doesn't
matter anyway the Delorean, when it is running right, gets pretty
decent mileage, in the area of 22-26 mpg depending on driving style,
state of tune, and highway or city. Hold on to your wallet, gas prices
are about to take a jump anyway!
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757