Re: Re: Alternative to Idle Speed Motor...

Re: Re: Alternative to Idle Speed Motor...

My "original" idle speed system was cantankerous and irritating.
Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't. Remember, however, I am
burning a replacement engine. Idle speed circuit was not transferred
per DMC design (blame a PO, not me) No throttle closed microswitch --
motor was hard wired on (am also missing the spark advance solenoid.
That's why my takeoff is uphill of throttle plates, like a
carburetor). Perhaps full time operation fried motor or ECU. Either
way, was not willing to spend $hundreds to fix.

Solenoid valve indeed on/off (one reason I was hoping for a coil). But
since I'm currently in full control with dash switch, no problem
there. In future will see how vehicle responds to coolant switch. By
the time water is hot car shouldn't need fast idle. If need be can
always leave dash switch active (kind of like an old choke cable, eh?).

May need two idle speed settings for summer and winter. Have done that
with smaller carbureted vehicles when A/C solenoid dies. Ford 460's
don't seem to notice compressor is even there...

Only brought this mod to list's attention because others seem to be
having similar problems. Of course an automatic system is nice, *IF*
it works correctly. I don't care about nice. I care about reliable.
Bypass/balancing screws stay put where I set them. As evidenced in
pics, I prefer engine distilled to its basics. No whistles, no bells,
no problems.

Note on driver's side of my block one more advantage -- distributor is
finally accessible! Have to raise upper air assembly for vertical
clearance to remove wires, but no sweat reaching them, hold down bolt,
etc. 100% improvement.

Bill Robertson