Re: [DML] Brake fluid Again

Actually, you can have quite a bit of variance between DOT 4 fluids. They
don't actually regulate what the fluid is made out of, just that it meets
certain requirements when tested.

Castrol GT LMA is supposed to be easier on the type of rubber that Girling
uses for seals in it's master cylinders and calipers. I haven't done any
sort of testing on that, but I've known enough British car owners who
refuse to use anything else due to problems that they've had, that I'm not
going to argue. Plus, the LMA in the name stands for Low Moisture
Absorbtion. The Castrol fluid tends to absorb less water than almost any
other fluid out there. This means that it should cause a lot less rust on
the interior of your braking system.

>From a British Car FAQ I found in a search:
"2. Why can?t I use generic brake fluid in my British car?

British brake & clutch systems use natural rubber components which are only
compatible with vegetable based brake fluid. American brake & clutch
systems use synthetic rubber components which are only compatible with
mineral based brake fluid. The only vegetable based brake fluid commonly
available in the US is CASTROL GT LMA. Use of improper fluids or mixing of
fluids can lead to complete failure of brake and clutch hydraulics. Use of
any fluid other than CASTROL GT LMA violates all warranty on
brake/hydraulic parts"

You can buy Castrol GT LMA here: http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/ Plus,
I'm sure that many other online suppliers handle it. I know Pep Boys has a
better price at their stores than Pegasus has online, but if you can't find
it locally, then you may have to go for it.

Here is an interesting link on Castrol GT LMA and British cars.
http://www.importautoberdoo.com/brake.html

Mark N
VIN 6820

At 04:08 PM 3/12/2003 -0800, you wrote:
> Well, I've went to all the local parts stores and no one has any
castrol. I asked the guy
>at napa if he could order some for me so he looked and said that they
don't have it listed. He
>then asked me why it has to be castrol dot 4 and not any other dot 4. I
said good question and
>I'll find out. So why does it have to be Castrol? He said that the fluid
is so regulated that there
>really can't be much difference between all of the brands. So what is so
special about it?

> Thanks in
advance....again.....................Jason #5903