Re: Long Term Storage

Mothballs because I have seen what little critters can do to the
inside of a car. Try removing the smell of urine and feces and all of
the stuff they bring in to nest, the smell of mothballs won't seem so
bad and it does go away.
The blankets and cardboard because I see all too often where
something fell on the car in storage and dented it or broke the
windshield
I agree that taking the weight off the wheels puts some stress on
some parts of the suspension. I have yet to see a failed bushing that
can be attributed to storing that way though. If the bushings do fail
it would have more to do with age. The springs can get a "set" and
need to be replaced too so take your pick. As far as tires, if the
storage is really long term they should be removed from the car and
kept in a cool dark place away from anything that could produce ozone
like electric motors with plenty of ventilation.
Removing the battery is IMPORTANT because it quickly goes dead and
then can freeze but what's worse it corrodes everything nearby making
an urecognizable mess.
Removing the anti-freeze will prevent it from turning acidic and
corroding everything. It also becomes more of an electrolyte so it
will cause the corrosion of the dissimilar metals with the aluminum
dissolving first. Rice won't last long as a dessicant and will attract
the small animals you certainly don't want. Turning the motor over
manually once a year should keep it from freezing up from rust but in
most of the long term cars I have seen it really wasn't the problem
unless stored out in the weather. The fuel system, brakes and the
exhaust systems seem to store the worst. Not much you can do about the
exhaust but removing the fluid from the brakes and clutch should help.
This advice comes from taking more than a couple of cars out of "long
term storage" or at least what the owners thought was it.
The best type of storage is in a museum where it is taken care of.
Check on how they and others store cars like the Smithstonian, they
remove ALL of the fluids and of of course the battery.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, id <ionicdesign@xxxx> wrote:
> mothballs in car, are you crazy?
>
> i stored one of my cars for almost two years with the car on jack
stands with mothballs
> in pie tins under each tire, under front and rear bumper and under
each door. it took
> over 6 months to get the mothball smell out of my car and there were
no mothballs in my
> car and all windows and doors of car were closed.
>
> if you have any reason you might think water might be trapped
anywhere in the car place
> a pie tin on the drivers side floor and passengers floor filled with
some rice. the rice
> will take the humidity out of the air and it also makes salt flow
freely in salt
> shakers.
>
> coolant needs to be left in the engine so no rust will form inside
engine. spray fogging
> oil in all cylinders and turn over engine once and replace spark
plugs to keep rust from
> forming in cylinders and it keeps the piston rings oiled.
>
> the car needs to breathe, so i wouldn't put blankets, cardboard and
cover over car so
> mildew or mold wont form in any water trapped anywhere in car. a
good car cover will do
> the trick, thats all.
>
> mark
> 6683
>

> "David Teitelbaum " wrote:
>
> > Here are my recomendations for long term storage (over 1 year)
> > Remove battery (if you can't charge it regularly or put in another
car
> > it will go bad after a couple of years)
> > Drain ALL fluids especially the fuel and brake and clutch fluids
> > Place on jackstands to remove weight from suspension
> > Leave 10 psi in all 5 tires
> > Put mothballs under seats
> > Slobber leather conditioner on seats and steering wheel
> > Remove everything from car that doesn't belong
> > Put heavy blankets on car and a tight fitting cover over that and
> > cardboard over that.
> > Try to leave in heated garage, or at least one with a floor (a
Carcoon

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dmcnews