Re: Rear main seal wear

I've seen an issue on the front main seal (the one at the back of the
car) where the seal wears a groove in the pulley. The fix is a new
pulley, sleeve the old pulley, or (this is what we did) turn down the
original pully microscopically on a lathe to clean it up. I suppose
the same thing could happen at the other (flywheel) end, but as you
note it's the crankshaft itself that would be the problem. I find it
hard to believe that the crank would be warped enough to clear the
seal and not cause a tremendous vibration in the flywheel.

For the cost of fixing that you can buy a lot of cardboard for the
garage floor......

OR - it's just a flaky mechanic. There are actually two places that
it seals, the rubber seal itself AND the retainer that holds the seal
to the block. If you really want to make a go at it, get him to open
it up again, remove the seal and retainer, and either show you the
crank warpage (with a dial indicator) or the groove (not likely).
I'll bet its not either and he just didn't get it buttoned up right.
Or you have a leak from somewhere else.

I would not use oil additives on anything. Run away run away!.

Dave

[duplicate quote snipped buy moderator]