Re: Parts Cars vs Reviving an Old Car

As someone who has posted here on this debate, I do feel obligated to chime
in.

<SNIP>
> It is an interesting dilema. You would think that if
> the car ran and was in a restorable condition with a
> clean title someone would pony up the dough for a
> dream car. Unfortunetly seems more and more people are
> all talk and no do.
<SNIP>

I stand by my statement of not parting out cars that are good canidates for
restoration. But forgive me for not pouncing upon this car because I don't have
the resources, be it workspace, time, the free cash, nor *gulp*, the desire to
take on such a project right now. But the point of the original thread on thsi
subject was to be a debate, not a auction of who will be the first to buy these
cars. And of course that debate was to keep these cars until the perfect
canidate comes along to buy them, rather then to just destroy them by parting
them out. Saying that other cars are "living on" by utilizing parts from a car that
was dismantled is simply self justification thru one's on imagination. In all
honesty, that's pretty much the same believe that canibal headhunter tribes
have that when they eat their enemies, they gain their powers. Short of a total
all out smashed up, burned up, totally destructive wreck, I don't know of
anything that would keep a DeLorean off the road. It is my firm believe that no
matter what, parts can be substituted, and/or modified to work for the
Delorean application.

And if it can't be replaced, then it can be improved. I would think that the
ultimate proof of situations such as this would be things such as the door
regulators, suspension kits, and the dedication of other vendors who have
worked to bring us improved/replacement products such as Bob Zilla, John
Hervey, and Darryl Tinnerstet.

In the end, I imagine that it's probably going to be difficult to try and sell any
type of a classic car, no matter what the economy. Another question would be
where are you advertising it? I'm not looking to buy another D right now, so it
would make sense that I have not seen the ad for it, as I am not in the correct
demegrahic that you're trying to market the car to. But like I say, this is the very
first that I've ever heard of it being for sale. Otherwise, you should have an
option with DMCH. As I've heard it, they buy all cars that they want to refurbish
for a flat fee of $10K. A couple of free ads online are not always going to cut it.

-Robert
vin 6585 "X"