Re: Need repair help in Atlanta

>From the symptoms you describe it could very well be the starter. This
is not too difficult a job so you might want give it a try. The first
thing you must do is get the car up in the air. For this you need a
jack and 2 jackstands for the rear. You should do this on a flat,
level floor. Once you get the car up use a test light or a meter and
look for voltage at the small (white-red) wire on the starter when
someone else tries to start the motor. If you have voltage and you
hear the solenoid clicking then make sure you have battery voltage on
the big wire at the starter. If you have the voltages and the starter
isn't working then it has to come out. Refer to M:02:01-04 for the
complete remove, replace, and troubleshooting procedure. It is not
that difficult to remove. It is best not to try having it rebuilt as
most shops won't have the parts needed to do a thourgh job. Either try
a Volvo dealer or a Delorean vender for a new or rebuilt unit. If you
don't get voltage on the small (white-red) wire it could be a bad
starter inhibit relay. You didn't say if it was an automatic. Make
sure it is in Park. You could have a bad neutral start switch or a
wiring problem.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757